Small talk builds relationships. It opens doors for people to get to know about and learn from team members. With social distancing and remote work as the new norm, create connections and inspire conversations with Spectator-Free© Icebreakers.
Breaking the Ice
Small Talk Quick Tips
01 USE OPEN-ENDED QUESTIONS
- These questions cannot be answered by “yes” or “no.”
- Starting a question with WHAT opens the door to learn about and from someone.
02 PRACTICING ACTIVE LISTENING
- Nodding and eye contact send positive signals.
- Mindfulness. Don’t rush to think about your response or next comment.
03 BE PATIENT
- Resist the urge to interrupt and take over the conversation. Doing so sends a message that you aren’t interested and what you have to say is more important.
- Ask follow-up questions.
04 USE THESE PHRASES
- “Tell me more” or “say more” work well.
(Keep them handy for frequent use)